Movies Ledger's Reaction to Dark Knight

Jan 12, 2006
Out and about
Zenny
Ledger's Reaction to Dark Knight
Scenes screened for late actor before his death.
by Phil Pirrello

US, January 20, 2009 - With all signs pointing to late actor Heath Ledger as the sure-bet for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar, and as fans of The Dark Knight are still discussing his inspired portrayal of Joker, it is comforting to know that the actor saw some of his groundbreaking work before he died.

IMDB.com reports that The Dark Knight producer Charles Roven set up a screening for Ledger while in London, working on an edit of the film director Christopher Nolan had prepared for IMAX theatres. Ledger viewed the film's opening sequence in the IMAX format, watching right up to his character's iconic reveal.

"I showed Heath the first six minutes, the bank heist sequence, on an IMAX screen in London," Roven remembers. "I said, 'You have to see this...'"

heath-ledger-20090120000534852-000.jpg

- Warner Bros.Ledger, seen here in the scene he screened, died before a final cut was completed.The producer further recalls that the footage "just blew [Ledger's] mind." "He was so thrilled," Roven continued, "he was just laughing. He said, 'I want to see it again.'"

The producer screened the footage again, and that was the last time he saw the actor.

Unfortunately, Ledger did not get to see a final cut of the film before his death last year from an accidental overdose.

E.V.

Jul 5, 2006
Miami
z10.invisionfree.com
Zenny
I loved him in the role, and I know I'm about to get bashed for this, but I don't think he deserves an Oscar for it. I think if he lived, half of the people hoping for him to get that Oscar wouldn't think so.

Sergeant Dreamer

First Lieutenant Riza Hawkeye
May 22, 2006
CLASSIFIED
Zenny
it was a good movie, and he got too into his role as joker. Most Hollywood stars go through therapy for many months to get out of that characters role and back to their normal lives.

Jan 12, 2006
Out and about
Zenny
I loved him in the role, and I know I'm about to get bashed for this, but I don't think he deserves an Oscar for it. I think if he lived, half of the people hoping for him to get that Oscar wouldn't think so.

I have to agree with you there. I mean nobody can say any longer "oh I think he doesnt deserve it" without appearing kind of grimish.

Nemesis

Jan 25, 2006
Zenny

Well I agree that he was great in the Role but about the Oscar i shrug at it as I never felt the Oscar really is anything important to me just film industry (mainly Hollywood) saying how great they are.

But I really feel though his Death has actually made some problems with later films in the series. After watching the Dark Knight. It did seem that actually they had plans for the Jokers return in either a film or 2. Unless they can somehow get someone as good or perhaps CGI with Mark Hammill (lets face it he will be the only one the fans will accept even at his age) doing the voice. Plus one day they will need to bring in Harlequin and for her you need the Joker.