Slice and Dice

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
I was recently watching the gameplay trailer (again) and noticed something in the very beginning. When Zealots kill a Marine, their final slash cuts them in half. this was not the surprising fact. On closer inspection, the Marines actually fall apart in different ways depending on how the killing blow was dealt. A horizontal slash makes their torso slide off and fall to the ground, while a vertical slash causes them to be split from top to bottom and peel apart.

This means that the death animations have been significantly upgraded. Their may be even more than what we have seen so far. Can you imagine watching Hydralisk acid melt through a marine's armor, dissolving him? Or watch a Broodling burst out with Alien-like beauty? How about falling to the ground still twitching from Psionic Storm? Vaporized by a Yamato Cannon? Exploding from Siege Tank blasts, sending little pieces of infantry sliding down the ramp?

The possibilties are endless! I know they can't design a different animation for each death, but it is very fun to think about. I would like to hear your own.

UWanaPiecAMeBoy

Jun 4, 2007
Zenny
hell yeah man! i can see the ultralisks flinging marines off their tusk-arm-blades (couldnt tell in sc1 graphics) and into the croud :D

it makes me gitty just thibking about it.

UWanaPiecAMeBoy

Jun 4, 2007
Zenny
thats exactly what i was thinkin of when i typed it, the minitours in age of mythology could launch little soldiers over like 100 feet every couple seconds as a cooldown ability, i thought it would be a neet ability for ultralisks to have :)

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
Are you aware of the implications of this? Do YOU want to be scraping Marine off of my Command Center? Zergling Damage can be repaired but that... It's just not sanitary. Now you are gonna take this Fire Bat over here and that can of gasoline and...

*hears shouts of AIIIIYYEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in backround*

What the hell? ... HOLY SHIT!

*Marine falls out of sky onto Blades of Aiur*

Medic!?

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
*sigh* I would just like to say that all credit for noticing the seperate animations goes to my brother, UWanaPiecAMeBoy. He has requested I make a formal retraction of my prior statement. Aparently an edit is not good enough. Noooo. he had to have a whole seperate post. Well, here you are. Happy now?

FatAlbert

Feb 10, 2006
Zenny
lol, id like to see one unit die in a slow like manner after being implaed by a pike launched by a lurker or hydralisk.

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
Yeah! I can see it now. The Marine is impaled by a Lurker and, still twitching, is dragged down into the Lurker's hole to be devoured. Maybe even a limb tossed out for dramatic effect.

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
Firebats igniting zerglings and their charred corpses falling to the ground, still smoking... Now THAT is what we call a Mar Sara barbecue.

UWanaPiecAMeBoy

Jun 4, 2007
Zenny
Yeah! I can see it now. The Marine is impaled by a Lurker and, still twitching, is dragged down into the Lurker's hole to be devoured. Maybe even a limb tossed out for dramatic effect.

no, they attack in a line. a lurker cant devour 5 guys at one time, too much animation.

i wanna see some more graphic detail on the vultures, i wanna see the dust from the huver-thrusters and im excited to see floating units move and stop with no friction.

ShaD0w HaRt

Feb 26, 2006
Zenny
Sad to say but vultures and spider mines may be gone.

They would provide some room for some incredible animation and physics engine, though.