Techtv=UndoTv!

Zayne.H

Feb 10, 2006
Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
ZayneHumphrey.com
Zenny
http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/08/14/techtv-undotv/

<div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'>TechTV was a television network that held within it so much promise, so much talent. We had an army of fanatics stationed all around the globe. The Internet-savvy did everything in their power to empower that very community - but many of those efforts fell victim to a traditional media mindset. We?re now on the cusp of a new media revolution, and I?ve begun to spearhead efforts to ressurect the ideals of TechTV.

When I seeded the idea about letting the community help us centralize, the response was overwhelming - both from TechTV alumni and our ever-present supporters. I?m here to tell you now: it?s going to happen. I don?t know how it?s going to happen, but? that?s what makes it worth doing! The most difficult hurdle has already been overcome, in my opinion: we have an audience that is NOT being served effectively.

ZDTV/TechTV brought us all together, but that brand belongs to somebody else - to a completely different time and management style. It?s not the name that?s most important - it?s what we do with that name which will prove our validity and worth. The whole is always greater than the sum of its parts!

Leo and I have discussed a few core values this impending structure must support, the most revolutionary of which is content producers owning 100% of their contributions. We want to enable former TechTV talent to upload new and existing content, and we want to bring new talent into the fold as well. Sales will also be an important part of this process, so we?d also like to help match sponsorship with these personalities.

The working (and likely final) name for this project is simple, poignant, and genre-neutral: UndoTV. I?ve registered UndoTV.com, Undo.tv, UndoTV.net, and UndoTV.org through GoDaddy. I believe that UndoTV.com will be the primary domain (with Undo.tv being a permanent redirect to it). It?s my hope to turn over UndoTV.net and UndoTV.org to the community, letting vetted leaders craft those sites with tools of their choosing. Perhaps one could hold within it a wiki, another could hold a customized version of MUWP (which I?m developing for Lockergnome.com anyway)? That?s completely up to you, my friends.

Why UndoTV? Several reasons:

* Some former TechTV talent are no longer producing tech content.
* We?re undoing TechTV?s untimely and unwarranted demise.
* The television industry is changing, and we?re all helping ?undo? it.
* There are few preconceived notions with the word ?undo.?
* The CTRL+Z reference is geeky enough, but it doesn?t turn off non-geeks.
* The appropriate domains were available.
* Informal reactions to the ?UndoTV? name were positive.
* All TechTV/ZDTV fans will find us, no matter what we call it.

A good name is important, but not as important as what we make of that name. What did ?Digg? mean before the community pushed it to a powerhouse? What?s more, we?re really trying to help people who are afraid of technology - and getting a technophobe to pay attention to ?tech? anything is nothing short of impossible. Let me put it to you another way: how do normal people discover YouTube videos?

I?m confident that the timing for UndoTV is perfect. Leo and I have identified a potential platform to begin publishing through, but an actual launch date is still in the air. We have every element in line for success: an amazing community, a range of great talent, and a strong desire to push the media industry forward.

Could be the Peet?s talking, but? I?m excited. Next steps?

* Draft a unique logo
* Prep the site structure
* Locate smart sponsors
* Contact interested talent
* Solicit community feedback
* Identify organizational needs
* Define necessary roles
* Flesh out legal structure

Here we go. Let?s see if Dvorak likes the idea."</div>

And now my comment on LLTTV:Love it!!!I'm going to make
my version of the logo..

UNDO THE DEATH OF TECHTV!!!!WOOOOT!

And my post on Chris's blog:

I just love the part:?We?re undoing TechTV?s untimely and unwarranted demise.?

But It would be nice to maybe have a ZDtv/Techtv rememberal page on there linking to sites with Techtv and ZDtv articles,like Fan sites and makybe Wayback Machine pages?

In the words of Leo Laporte:?UP YOURS G4!?

Again......WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

: )

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

:party: