Copy protection on DVR

GrayFox

Feb 2, 2006
Zenny
I have a timer set to record the Colbert Report every night at 1:30 in case I'm busy with something else. I just leave Comedy Central on the cable box so I can record through "input 1". It gives better quality than if I'd leave the DVR itself on Comedy Central.

Last night, while I was watching... the screen went blank and a message saying "not authorized com" popped up (as if we didn't order Comedy Central or some crap like that). Then, I noticed the DVR had stopped recording, so I checked it and a message was there saying something like "This program cannot be recorded because of copy restrictions placed by the owner" I decided to see if I could record the rest of the show... and I could.

I'm hoping this was just a glitch and not some crap that the cable companies are going to do constantly. :eek:

Slayers

Sep 8, 2010
Zenny
hmm never know! Im sure some shows will start to have this stuff.

Otherwise it becomes to easy to record a show and then save it to the web like youtube or veoh

Gimpy

Jan 24, 2006
Zenny
I've never heard of protection on PVR's? If you can't record shows, or even certain shows. Then what's the point of having a recorder?

And anyways, I think when you record a show your bound to legal agreements. Things like you will not play it publically for free etc.... or make money off it.