Warcraft Report: WoW as Addictive as Cocaine

Jan 12, 2006
Out and about
Zenny
Report: WoW as Addictive as Cocaine
Swedish organization says Blizzard's MMO is dangerous
by Jason Ocampo

US, February 26, 2009 - According to The Local, which bills itself as Sweden's news in English, the Youth Care Foundation has branded Blizzard's MMO World of Warcraft as the most dangerous game in terms of addiction and goes as far as calling it "the cocaine of the computer games world."

The report is still unpublished, but details were given out to Swedish media. Sven Rollenhagen of the foundation reportedly told the Swedish newspaper Metro that "there is not a single case of game addiction that we have worked with in which World of Warcraft has not played a part."

The Youth Care Foundation, according to The Local, "works to advocate active alternatives to gaming," though it also deals with other forms of addiction. This isn't the first time The Local has reported on World of Warcraft, as it reported in November of last year that a Swedish boy was admitted to a hospital after collapsing during a 20-hour World of Warcraft binge.

Lalaith

Feb 13, 2007
In my filed of paper flowers
Zenny
lol, wow! Poor boy, shouldn't have played so much! Well, yeah games can be addicting and yes, according to what I've heard people really get into World of Warcraft but I don't think it's dangerous at all. o_O It's just a game, I think.

Nitz

My time is ticking away....
Staff member
Jan 12, 2006
Outworld, Canada
www.gamerz-place.net
Zenny
Well ask Nick- Cruentas about it :p ... he fell into WoW!

I'm not sure how people get so absorbed into games? I guess kids do, because they have nothing better to do. Too bad we can't make kids work early in their lives!!! :p