PS3 Sony Stands Firm on PS3 Price

Jan 12, 2006
Out and about
Zenny
Sony Stands Firm on PS3 Price
Chief Exec Stringer refuses to bow to pressure.
by Martin Robinson, IGN UK

UK, July 8, 2009 - Sony's head honcho Howard Stringer has further rebutted claims that a PlayStation 3 price cut is in the wings, following a series of rumours and requests from the high-standing members of the games industry.

Rumours of a PlayStation 3 price cut have been steadily escalating, and the speculation came to a head when Activision's CEO Bobby Kotick made some spectacularly caustic remarks about Sony. 'They have to cut the price,' Kotick said early last month, 'because if they don't, the attach rates are likely to slow. If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony.'

"He likes to make a lot of noise," came Sony Chief Executive Howard Stringer's response in an interview with Reuters, "He's putting pressure on me and I'm putting pressure on him. That's the nature of business."

Stringer continued to defend the logic of not slashing the PlayStation 3's price point, saying "I (would) lose money on every PlayStation I make -- how's that for logic."

Nitz

My time is ticking away....
Staff member
Jan 12, 2006
Outworld, Canada
www.gamerz-place.net
Zenny
Oh well.. it means Sony won't get my $$$

I think they should make a CHEAPER version. Take out the bluray.. I don't need it. They need to make a gaming version and a premium version...

I'm not going to pay for a PS3, when a 360 costs less and has a bigger Hard drive... so no bluray.. no big deal.

DevilsCry

Oct 11, 2006
In TLS's Room
Zenny
I don't think that Sony will notice it if you won't buy it, others will ;)

You're not looking at the whole picture though. Xbox, alot of them malfunction, internet function is not free, lags frequently more then the PS3 online
Compared with the price, in the long run PS3 is better/cheaper.
Basicly the PS3 is a upgraded Xbox with extra's =\
Besides, for a few bucks extra the PS3 has 320GB. If you'd buy that, you'd still be off cheaper in the long run, compared with Xbox.

Nitz

My time is ticking away....
Staff member
Jan 12, 2006
Outworld, Canada
www.gamerz-place.net
Zenny
I don't think that Sony will notice it if you won't buy it, others will ;)

You're not looking at the whole picture though. Xbox, alot of them malfunction, internet function is not free, lags frequently more then the PS3 online
Compared with the price, in the long run PS3 is better/cheaper.
Basicly the PS3 is a upgraded Xbox with extra's =\
Besides, for a few bucks extra the PS3 has 320GB. If you'd buy that, you'd still be off cheaper in the long run, compared with Xbox.
maybe... I haven't seen the 320 around here yet. I guess if I was really desperate I might go for it. But since I can control my $$ spending, I'm not going to go crazy for a ps3. I agree more 360's are dying compared to PS3's. But, at least 360's have what? a 6 year warranty? I'd like to see Sony beat that option.

Zuby

Oct 16, 2022
Zenny
To be very honest, I never bothered about the price of Playstation 3 when it came out. I had the money at the time and it was why I was among the first people that purchased it. Sony needs to start selling their PS console cheaper.