The Mercenaries Discussion

Xephon

Feb 17, 2006
Scotland
www.squareforums.com
Zenny
What is mercenaries?

A mini-game which has appeared in previous Resident Evil titles. The aim is to kill as many enemies within the given time limit. You get various maps to go in, and at the end you get a score and ranking.

How do I unlock it?

Beat the game once.

Who do I play as?

You start with good old Leon. But you can unlock the following characters;

HUNK
Ada Wong
Jack Krauser
Albert Wesker

How do I unlock them?

They are all unlocked by achieving a 4-star ranking on a certain map.

Village - Ada
Base - HUNK
Castle - Krauser
Waterworld - Wesker

Who is the best to use?

Personally, I feel Krauser and HUNK are the best. I can use them most effectively. And their arsenal and other abilities allow you to kill opponents with ease. Of course this is my opinion.

So discuss.

H-F Blade

Jan 20, 2006
Zenny
I suck sooooo badly at this mini game. I can't get a 4-star ranking on any stage with Leon. The highest I ever got was 3 stars on the military base. =\

H-F Blade

Jan 20, 2006
Zenny
Yeah, it was my very first map where I got 3 stars. The biggest problem I encounter is the JJ's. The shotgun doesn't knock them down. =\

I got a 3 star ranking in Waterworld yesterday. If you start inside one of the
structures, you can easily get a ~20 streak there. The problem is, your streak could end once Dr. Salvador appears because if that's the case, get ready to run.

The Miz

Jan 12, 2006
Zenny
Who's Dr. Salvador? Just curious here lol. :p
I tried it 3 times. In the Village. And well. . .I got killed twice and a 1-star rating once. :/

H-F Blade

Jan 20, 2006
Zenny
Dr. Salvador is the name of the chainsaw enemies. I've finally unlocked all the characters. Wesker is by far my favorite. His arsenal is ludicrously powerful and he's an all-rounder; he has weapons for every situation.

H-F Blade

Jan 20, 2006
Zenny
Yeah, Wesker is the guy with the sunglasses. You see him at the end of Assignment Ada and during Separate Ways. He's probably the main villain of the series. Oh yeah, I forgot, his melee attacks are just as powerful as his weapons. Funny how everything about the guy is powerful. Though I don't understand why they give him a silencer for his handgun because there's really no reason to be stealthy about your attacks. I normally just toss it to free up space.

I found a pretty handy homepage for videos on the Mercenaries:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/shin3/capcom/bio4-ps2.htm

They have footage for every character on most stages. If you're having trouble getting a 5 star ranking on any stage, then it's a good idea to take a look at some of these to get an idea of how to get a good streak going and how to keep it. This is such a godsend because of the Leon videos. I figured they might come in handy considering that he's pretty hard to use compared to everyone else. I still get the feeling it will take me a while to know just exactly where to go and which enemies to engage.

Last edited:

The Miz

Jan 12, 2006
Zenny
I'm best at the Waterworld stage it seems. I got 3 star rating on my first time through. That's when I didn't get my head sliced off by the giant chainsaw killer. :/

I killed him once too actually, but another one appeared. :/

Xephon

Feb 17, 2006
Scotland
www.squareforums.com
Zenny
H-F Blade said:
Yeah, Wesker is the guy with the sunglasses. You see him at the end of Assignment Ada and during Separate Ways. He's probably the main villain of the series. Oh yeah, I forgot, his melee attacks are just as powerful as his weapons. Funny how everything about the guy is powerful. Though I don't understand why they give him a silencer for his handgun because there's really no reason to be stealthy about your attacks. I normally just toss it to free up space.

I found a pretty handy homepage for videos on the Mercenaries:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/shin3/capcom/bio4-ps2.htm

They have footage for every character on most stages. If you're having trouble getting a 5 star ranking on any stage, then it's a good idea to take a look at some of these to get an idea of how to get a good streak going and how to keep it. This is such a godsend because of the Leon videos. I figured they might come in handy considering that he's pretty hard to use compared to everyone else. I still get the feeling it will take me a while to know just exactly where to go and which enemies to engage.

Does it show that vid of the guy taking out Dr Sal with the knife only?

H-F Blade

Jan 20, 2006
Zenny
Knife only? O_O Nope. Though I'd definitely like to see that. It's hard enough to even stun the guy unless you're hitting him with a high power weapon. From what I saw, the way the players took out the Doc with Leon was, they would climb to higher ground, and wait for Doc to jump up. As soon as he jumped onto the same platform, they would immediately blast him in the head with the shotgun and do so until he fell. I never would have thought of that because most of the time if he's anywhere within two feet of me, I'm running scared. <.< And the fact that the quickest way to take him down with Leon is up close is pretty scary by itself. But it was pretty clever how they used the Doc's jumping recovery to blast him into oblivion.

The Miz

Jan 12, 2006
Zenny
I beat the Doc more then once. 4 times to be exact. Just blast him in the shin with a Riot Gun, and then shoot him nonstop in the head once he's down and by the time he gets up, distance yourself from him a bit, turn quickly, and BAM! 1 more shot with the Riot Gun and he should fall.

I got 27k in the Waterworld too today, only 3-star rating though. How many do I need to get a 4-star rating?

H-F Blade

Jan 20, 2006
Zenny
I think you need at least 30,000. But I got 34,000+ when I unlocked Wesker.

From the videos that I saw, it takes approximately 6 headshots for him to go down. It's a good idea to keep track of how many times you hit him in the head just in case you have to temporarily fend off other enemies and start running again.

Last edited:

The Miz

Jan 12, 2006
Zenny
I actually shot the Doc in the head and it didn't phase the bastard. I did what I like to call "shin-shots" though on him and it worked 9 outta 10 times.

I had 29,820 and like 13 seconds left before I had got killed by the Doc just a little while ago actually. I think 30k sounds like the mark I gotta hit.

I tried the Village, Castle, and Military Base too. All of them I found much tougher then Waterworld was, Village being the hardest as the clocks are very rare to find, the Castle its just hard to get the enemies to come as they practically walk toward you. The Military Base is good though, just those god-damn JJ's are a ***** especially with no rifle. :/

H-F Blade

Jan 20, 2006
Zenny
Supposedly Waterworld is the hardest for Leon because he can't take out the Doc from long range, which thus makes destroying him your first priority. And that takes time if you don't start near his location. I thought Military Base was easy with Leon, and it probably is his best stage. If you can avoid the JJs long enough then you can get a good streak going. Save your grenades for the JJs and then once you stun them, proceed to shell them into oblivion. I find the village to be pretty hard with Leon too. It's a bit tricky to find the time extensions because it's not as open as Waterworld. In Waterworld, almost all the time extensions are in plain sight.

The Miz

Jan 12, 2006
Zenny
Yeah, my high in the Village is like 8520, Castle its 16,280 and Military Base 19,500.

I, of course got like 27,120 I think in the Waterworld as a high too.