The Reaper vs The Firebat

Merovingian

Apr 13, 2006
www.DAHeadquarters.com
Zenny
The reaper is slated to replace the firebat. A lot of people have disagreements over the whole damn thing. A comparison of the two:

The firebat was the only Terran melee in sc1 (with the exception of SCV's, but how dumb would that be?) It is armed with a flamethrower, which is a well accepted weapon in many modern computer games. It was good for killing small units and screening marines, but lost most of its usefulness in the late game when all races started picking up huge long-range infantry killers (guardian-siegetank-reaver) it looked like a pretty cool unit both in art, and, in the age of 2D, still managed to look awesome in-game.

The reaper is a mercenary unit that is equipped, not with machine guns, bazooka's, flamethrowers, or lasers, but with PISTOLS. We are talking 25th century here. Raiders in the 5th century used fire against wooden huts, which is more effective, i would imagine, than pistols on command centers in the 25th. Thankfully blizzard gave reapers bombs, which is a pretty cool addition. Reapers can jump cliffs which are also pretty cool. reapers look ok by today's standards in-game, but rather horribly clunky in art. Despite the game not even coming out yet, and thus most people having never played the game, most people seem to agree that the reaper will only be useful at the start and lose efficiency at the end.

I do not hate the reaper. or at least i do not completely hate the reaper. but wouldnt it be cool to combine the reaper and the firebat? let it keep its bombs, and its jetpack, but drop the pistols and strap on flamethrowers! what could go wrong with that?

deno70

Jun 11, 2007
Zenny
idea people

keep the firebat for early game

build the bar

put firebats in the bar

poof firebat->reaper for later game

Merovingian

Apr 13, 2006
www.DAHeadquarters.com
Zenny
so you can upgrade firebats into reapers?...i dont know though, they serve such different functions.

I've been thinking, how's about just chuck the reaper's pistols, replace them with flamethrowers, and deal with that?

deno70

Jun 11, 2007
Zenny
mybe, it sounds ok, but then the function of being able to base raid wont be as good surly

Merovingian

Apr 13, 2006
www.DAHeadquarters.com
Zenny
what makes pistols any more cooler or damaging than flamethrowers? i mean in computer games like starcraft of course. they lose maybe half their range in exchange for more damage, sounds feasible to me.

deno70

Jun 11, 2007
Zenny
hum... still, im sure a pistol will have a better range then a flamethrower?
also im sure i remember seeing a rocket launcher on the arm of a firebat in the cinimatic intro for br, that would ake a ace addition to the firebat

Merovingian

Apr 13, 2006
www.DAHeadquarters.com
Zenny
i already said cut its range by half. and actually in real life flamethrowers (like the real ones they used in vietnam) had a far GREATER range than a pistol.

adding rockets would be overpowered. they're already murdering all the gatherers, no need for them to blow up all the buildings in an instant as well. anyway reapers already have those mines.

deno70

Jun 11, 2007
Zenny
i know, but if reapers dont make it and the firebats do (if you not been lookin on the blizzard forum, ages ago they said they where looking into firebats returning, i think its somewhere on the AQA's if you havnt seen them)

but didnt the firebat in the intro have a rocket fire from its arm???

Merovingian

Apr 13, 2006
www.DAHeadquarters.com
Zenny
the hydralisks in the Amerigo seemed invincible to gunfire. the marines had pistols. the ghost had a micro nuke that could destroy a science vessel with a push of a button. did we see these in game? no.